Tuesday, May 13, 2008

God

I believe in God. I mean, I have faith that God exists. Though there is some confusion of late, at least in my life, as to how to actually live life according to how the Bible says God would want me to live.

I've done a lot of spiritual reading over the years and for the past few months, I've been reading Conversations With God by Neale Donald Walsch. When I first bought the book over a year ago, I tried to read it like a novel and quickly lost interest. I wasn't ready. Some months ago a very serious life changing event happened and like most people going through hard times I stepped up my search for answers and looked toward the heavens in hopes that they would be forthcoming. They weren't. This book has helped me come to a different understanding. Instead of reading pages and chapters at a time, I am doing the work justice by reading just a few paragraphs, sometimes just sentences at a time and reflecting on what they words and concepts mean.

On top of troubles that I'll call my own, I find myself dealing with troubles that belong to members of my family. For some reason, I seem to be the one who they've deemed qualified to help them out of their own hells.

There in lies my struggle. If I listen to reason and to my wonderful Psychotherapist, I should walk away because I cannot change anything for them. If I pay attention to what the Bible says, I should give of myself to help those in need.

I've never been a martyr and when I was able to help I did so with good conscience and good spirit. But now that my own circumstances have changed I find I cannot help as readily. The only help I can give is to dispense advice. Being a fairly strong person, people tend to think I have all the answers. I don't. I go through life, try to do the right thing for myself and the people I love and somehow that translates to others that I have all the answers. I don't.

So, when you read the Bible and what is expected how do you know whether the help you're asked to give is in God's eyes your service to others, or are you in the eyes of your Psychotherapist, making you an enabler?

1 comment:

You know who said...

They have not deemed you qualified. You have. Big difference. Once one is so entrenched in anothers woes, it is difficult to cut the binding tentacles of despair. Unfortunately the only answer is. Take that machete out of your haulster and strike with loving force. The greatest force of all.
Be of service...not a servant. Open yourself up to it and the universe (God)will bring it to you. Freedom and joy is already there for you. Just maybe not in the way you thought. try it. And let me know how it turns out. Think of it this way. You have gifts from God and skills that you don't even know about. Start unwrapping them today.