Tuesday, January 27, 2009

This and That

So much for posting everyday.

I do write, but working on something else so sometimes this gets put aside.

We're about to get another whopper of a storm. Damn. Makes it impossible to do anything that requires driving.

I have a class tomorrow morning and besides fighting a cold, my guess is that I will not be attending. My lax-ness appalls me. The last time the roads were bad it took me 1:15 to get to school. A ride that typically takes 35 minutes.

As for work...that's 43 miles away. It'll take me 2 hours of hazardous travel time. Me thinks a call out is in order. The company has an incredibly detailed corp number to call for absences and 'tardies'. Now there is a word I bet you haven't seen in a LONG time.

Tardy.

Who says that anymore? Once you get through, you have to work your way through a complex menu of options requiring the pressing of 1 or 2 depending on your circumstances.(If anyone has ever wondered what became of the moviefone guy....I have my suspicions). By the time you've finished, you've forgotten why you called and are well on your way to being over whatever ailed you in the first place. I think its a ploy.

What happened to the days when you called in and talked to a human?

Technology is wonderful. I am addicted to my computer and my cell. I misplaced my cell for a couple of hours one day and had an anxiety attack.

I recently switched Internet services from DSL (HORRIBLE) to cable which I much prefer. When asked by the phone company why I was switching the words "because it sucks" were just about to be released into the atmosphere. As it were I merely said "because I am not happy with the service." After all, I am foremost a lady.

Them: "Is there anything we can do to make it better?"

Me: "Yes. Cancel my service so I can switch to cable."

I asked for it to be terminated at month end (giving me time to receive my cable modem and connect) and instead, unbeknownst to me, they terminated me that evening. The next day I had NO service. I didn't know when I was to receive my modem so I contemplated going to the local bookstore for wireless access. How could I keep up on the (g)ripping entertain news regarding the newest baby bump sightings? How could I find out how badly my investment account was doing? How could I Ipost my blog entry? And, most importantly, how could I read my EMAILS!!

As it turned out the modem arrived the next day (they knew) and I had it installed within the hour.

Whoa. That was close.

I recently found a journal I was keeping in 1998. There was an entry regarding my newly found email capabilities. The entry was about something that I had taken part in and was so psyched I was off to email the news to all my friends who had email at the time. And I did. I sent an email to all four of them.

Times have changed. I now have 12 friends on email. (kidding)

No comments: