Friday, January 16, 2009

Calling Rod Serling

Its pretty annoying to get at phone call at 7:00 a.m. when you aren't expecting one. Thank God for caller ID.

It was a business I did not recognize and what business calls at that time anyway? Curiosity getting the better of me (and probably boredom) I looked the company up online and it turned out to be a construction company located in a town some 60 miles north of Ludlow.

A mistake for sure since I'm not building anything at the moment.

I find pop up ads incredibly annoying and Iusually ignore them but in the midst of looking up this company an ad did catch my eye. A search service that allows you to reverse search phone numbers. Who knew? (I'm sure you'll all be doing this now).

I would imagine that most people know that if you 'Google' a listed phone number, you will get information pertaining to that number. (I will stop for a moment while you Google your number and that of your friends). Since my phone number is unlisted I wondered if any of my information would appear. So I did a reverse search. (I told you I was bored).

A name did come up, as did an address but it wasn't mine. The best I could guess is that the information was that of the previous owner of said number.

So what?

The name meant nothing but the address caught my eye. Twilight Zone's theme music started playing in my head. My phone number belonged to the woman from whom one of my closest friends bought her house meaning that my number was previously connected to my friend's address.

Lest you say...well its a small town, yeah, but we do have more than 12 phone numbers to go around. Even though I worked with numbers over the past 30 years, I was never much of a mathematician yet even I know that statistically this is an outlier.

Really now.

Imagine what an episode that would have made.

No comments: