Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Spill in Auto Parts

How do you get out of a RUT? Find something NEW to do.

The past couple of months of a non-productive life style has left me chasing my tail doing a lot of absolutely nothing of value. I hate down time. As much as I try to like and enjoy it, I truly hate it. Idle minds and such. When boredom hits its astounding the things I'm likely to do to keep my mind occupied.

Makes me wonder how some people are able to enjoy it. I'm not talking about weekends and vacations days. Those are usually filled with to-do lists and fun. But when you have endless days of sameness it gets incredibly irritating.

A few weeks ago, I jokingly said to a friend, "I should get a job at (insert Fortune 500 company.) so I can write a book called "From Wall Street to..." (you can probably fill in the blank with little help). It'll keep me off the streets and allow me to do what I enjoy which is interacting with people. If there is something owning my own business taught me is that I love dealing with the public. I've got the right temperament for it. Very little rattles me and I'm less likely to punch someone in the face even if they deserve it.

Be careful what you put out to the Universe. I have said this before, I will say it again. What you put out there, COMES back even if you don't really want it.

Two days later I get an automatic email from http://www.monster.com/ that the company I was joking about had openings that fit what I was looking for. Now, my resume has been on there for months and since I never really paid attention, half the stuff that came through was of little interest and I was too lazy to change my search criteria. Given that what I would have hoped to find had zero to do with my background it was pretty much a lost cause in my opinion.

But there is was. I think I laughed and for fits and giggles (and a possible book deal in the future) went ahead and filled out the online application and took an 'assessment' test which lasted about an hour. (to make sure I'm not insane and wouldn't actually bring physical harm to a customer). The entire process was absolutely tedious but, what the heck?

To make a long and boring story short, yesterday I joined the ranks of productive and tax paying citizens as a manager in this retail giant. The organization itself is a machine and the learning curve will be fascinating. I'll know within 5 months whether this is a company I will want to grow with. If it is, then the career path for the next 15 years will be a blast and I have no doubt in my mind that I will take it as far as I choose to. Those who really know me, know that I am a dead serious about that last statement.

This has less to do with my getting a job (yes, OK...finally...are you happy now?) than realizing that when you're ready for the next step, it presents itself and all you really need to do is be aware of it. When it happens this easily, then it is the right thing for the present.

The best way to know that you're following what you are meant to for that time frame is that the pieces seem to fall into place effortlessly. By changing this one thing it will bring about different experiences and people into my life. The RUT has been broken and time will tell what the horizon looks like.

And who knows? Maybe I'll meet my soulmate as we both reach for the last bottle of wiper fluid.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

as long as ur soulmate isn't the morning greeter , i'm ok with it........ LOL MS