Monday, September 15, 2008

The Job

Until I have a set schedule, my hours and shifts will change. So far I've put in 4 full days and have had Saturday, Sunday & today off. Starting tomorrow I will have 6 straight days of relentless annoyances.

Along with the word 'shift' creeping into my vernacular...I now MUST take lunch within the required time frame. Apparently labor laws are very very strict and the powers that be will fire your ass if you do not take it seriously. They do not want infractions because they are quite costly. The entire half hour before actually taking your lunch break, is fraught with anxiousness about getting out on time lest there be a scolding if you are late to leave.

Training for any new job is a colossal P.I.T.A. I hate getting up to speed but unfortunately a necessary evil. Can't fix problems until you know how the problems got to be problems in the first place. Its the old "you can only learn by making mistakes." But in this case, its hopefully other people's mistakes you're fixing.

The first couple of days were pure hell. If I looked like a deer caught in the headlights it was because it was like standing in the middle of the wrong side of a 6 lane highway without a car. Many a time during those first few days the question "What the hell am I doing here?" repeatedly danced through my head. There was also the tad bit of resentment among the rank and file because I did not come up through the normal channels of promotion for a job well done. To make matters worse, those who report to me expect me to 'know it all.' This is impossible since at the moment, I don't even know any of some.

It is fascinating the level of commitment people have to their hourly jobs. They will ONLY do what they are paid to do and NOT a fraction more. These are the same people who complain about the unfairness of management.


On my second day I thought it best to familiarize myself with the function of 'cashiering' so that I could actually be of help instead of frantically pinging my palm pilot looking for assistance if something went wrong with the system.

As this lovely lady took the time to 'show me the ropes' ...I noticed that the credit card swipe machine had a piece of register tape with the words "DOES NOT WORK" scribbled on it and stuck to the machine itself. To give you an idea of what frustrations lie ahead the following conversation ensued:


ME: 'What's wrong with the swipe machine?"

HER: 'I don't know, I found it this way when I came on shift." (shift was 3 hours earlier)

ME: 'Have you told anyone it doesn't work?'

HER: 'No.'

ME: 'Well, if no one knows it doesn't work then it won't be fixed."

HER: 'Oh, I guess.'


As it happened one of the other managers walked by and I asked her if she was aware that there was a problem with the machine. The answer was 'No, no one told me." Rebooting took all of 30 seconds.


I guess the thought process was that magic elves would miraculously adjust system problems without actual human intervention because after all how DO the shelves get stocked for the morning rush?

The people though are truly nice and it will be great fun going forward and I am one of those who believe that you don't ever expect people to do what you are not willing to do yourself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i read the whole thing and was quite entertained - not necessarily by the content per se, but by the progression of expertise in your writing...
It kind of went from 'cute' to truly expressive and quite laudatory.
Keep it up!
Darkest regards from Darth Vader.