Monday, June 30, 2008

What's Love Got To Do With It?

There are times in our lives when we meet people who for whatever reason affect us in such a way that we almost don't recognize ourselves. For the first time we look, not at what we are, but at what we can be, and we want to be more. These people bring out something in us that not only make us want to reach for the stars, but know beyond a shadow of a doubt that we can.

A few days ago I was having a conversation with a friend which I will admit began bordering on a disagreement regarding the perception of a comment I had made. While trying to make his point about the perceived inconsiderate behavior on my part, he said:

"Don't you get it? YOU inspire me and have for as long as I've known you. You make me want to be a better person."

Normally a comment like this would have humbled me in that someone felt this way about knowing me. It would have left me with a smile and warm glow. But in this particular case the comment stopped me cold. At that moment I felt cheated. It was all well and good that I inspired someone, but all the selfish part of me could think of was..."Well, what about me? WHO is supposed to be inspiring me?"

Since that night I'd been writing this post in my head tossing about the idea of what role inspiration plays in a relationship. Any relationship. In the hierarchy of important elements, where does it stack up? It is just below love? Above respect or security? The same level as commitment?

If I put a value on where inspiration falls on my list of 'must haves' for me it would most certainly be near the top if not number one. I think I would even sacrifice love to second or third place. It has become apparent to me that if I am not inspired by something or someone, I lose interest. Inspiration is the driving force behind everything I do and to what degree I put my heart and soul into it.

I look at inspiration as something crucial for the well being and longevity of any relationship. When people inspire one another the most amazing things happen. Though, it cannot be one sided. If it is, then the relationship will suffer. We all want to be around people that make us want to be the best we can. Not because we are trying to impress them, but because there is an energy that we draw from them that is empowering and gives us the feeling that we can achieve greatness.

We can be inspired by many things, but when we are inspired by another human being we can conquer the world. Some might mistake inspiration for love though it is very possible to have one without the other. It doesn't diminish either, for they can both stand on their own. Perhaps when dealing with life's frustrations we can look at who we are truly inspired by and in turn who we inspire. If we think about relationships which may be difficult perhaps that is the element which is lacking.


There have been a handful of people who have come into my world who changed the course of my life whether they knew it or not. Each person set me on a road which put me on a higher level. It was almost as though the first set the foundation for the second and so on.

I will not stress the conversation I had with my friend, because it made me realize something I had completely forgotten. Knowing that in the future, when I am ready, I will come across another who will inspire me to my next level is exciting because I can't wait to see which road I will take from there.

This post is dedicated to BC who will never know how profoundly he impacted the course of my life.

No comments: